Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weekend Adventure


Well it sure was freezing on Saturday but that did not stop us from making the trek to Earlstown for yet another maple adventure! Pancakes galore!

The one room school house never changes. Fiddlers sit up front and entertain the happy crowds who pour in all day.

Oink, oink. I ate like a ....... Food was delicious and the plates were loaded high with homemade everything. Even the sausages are from a local farmer.

Yummy whole wheat tea biscuits could be dipped in maple syrup.

With full bellies we took a stroll up to the general store. Still lots of snow up there in the country. Notice that one of these things is not like the others?

This is Laura, she's eleven years old.

Next stop was Sugar Moon Farm to buy some syrup. Bottles on the window sill are are the sap boils of the season.....the early ones are much paler than the later.

Scott checking on the syrup in the evaporator. The room is warm and steamy with maple sap.

Everything is just right, here comes the hot maple syrup!

It doesn't stop! I had a coffee with whipped cream and maple sugar on top!

Finally, syrup on snow. I couldn't manage that and in fact hardly ate a thing for the rest of the day. No wonder!

10 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, that sounds like fun!

Things To Do For Two said...

We were just at Sugar Moon Farm a few weeks ago, but they didn't have the evaporator running when we took the tour. It's quite a fun and unique experience, especially the sugar on snow part.

Tam Hess said...

What fun! I wish I could go to something like that. We didn't get any real snow this year in Portland Oregon. What a neat place to live! xoxo

Alice said...

just . looks . divine . lucky you :-)

gardengirl said...

That all looks so yummy. Takes me back to sugaring off days at Owlshead Mountain in Quebec many years ago, especially the syrup in the snow. What fun!

Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

Wow, what a spectacular day! I love your photos. My sister mailed me maple sugar candy and I got them in the mail yesterday.. I'm only allowing myself one a day to savour the goodness ;o) Mmmm, mmm.

Kathy said...

Wow that looks sooooooo wonderful....all of it!!!

Loth said...

And now I have a sudden inexplicable desire to go and make maple oat cookies. With the last dregs of the Sugar Moon syrup from last year (late season - the strong stuff!)

Esme said...

Why did I ever leave Canada-as kids we always had a trip to the sugar bush. What I would do for a jar of that maple syrup.

Anonymous said...

love your photos, especially the one of the horse giving you the eye.